I think its probably fair to say that we all have goals in life, be that career, personal, social, fitness, enjoyment, relaxation… you get the picture. We all of us some how or other set ourselves targets to achieve, its just the human condition I suppose.
Some of these goals might be long-term and high expectation goals; like achieving a degree standard education for example or achieving a very high salary income for another example. Of course these are perfectly valid goals and to achieve them you have to be focused on them for quite some time, I know this from experience. You might also have short-term goals such as wanting to get a document written, read and posted before the end of the working day. Short-term goals tend to be quite specific and aimed at a time-frame with a definite go/no-go outcomes.
But what about the endless possibilities that might pass you by? What about these, how do they fit with your plan? Do you make room for them? Do you even consider them at all?
Well let me tell you, no matter how tightly we cling to our defined goals (for they give us safety of purpose), long or short-term the universe is too vast to let us just plan and achieve. There’s way too much other stuff going on that will change, influence or just plain get in the way of these very defined goals. As the saying goes you have to roll with the punches. Life has a way of sneaking-up on us and giving what it wants to. In reality this is so much more than our defined, targeted goals!
Each of us has our own idea of what perfection looks like, but looking for the perfect thing often keeps us from the many imperfect things that would make us perfectly happy.
Obsession with goal achievement is damaging to out being, its gets in the way of us learning how to deal with uncertainty. Instead of being stuck inside our limited desires, we can step into the limitless abundance of all that is waiting for us.
I’m not suggesting for one moment in letting go completely and having no goals at all, I’m suggesting loosening-up a bit and seeing what might come in your direction, what the great unknown might just deliver to your advantage. By having goals and tempering them with uncertainty means life has many possibilities, much to offer.
- Discovering Me: Part 3 – Management (readingsbycaroline.wordpress.com)
- Good Blog Post On Goals (amadmanspathtoreason.com)
- My Life Plan (trolle7.wordpress.com)
- Action goals can bring luck to career planning (career-ready.blogs.latrobe.edu.au)
- Goal-setting with Yehuda Berg (ochobrazos.com)
- Daily Planning for Success is an Entrepreneurs Pot of Gold (projecteve.com)
- Responding versus Reacting – A Key to Your Ability to Influence (robertringer.com)
- “Plans are nothing; planning is everything” -Dwight D. Eisenhower (ehyasin.wordpress.com)
- Easy Steps to Writing Down Your Goals (seapublication.wordpress.com)
- Create your own future: Set your goals (jgrewal03.wordpress.com)